Archive for March 2012

Marquette’s Buzz Williams isn’t going anywhere

March 29, 2012

(AP Photo/Morry Gash)

Via GoMarquette.com:

“I want to thank all of our fans, alumni, students and administration who provided incredible support throughout our second consecutive Sweet 16 run,” Williams said. “We are already looking forward to next season with a core group of returning players, while welcoming new recruits into the Marquette family. I am excited to build on our past success and we will continue to work to be the absolute best we can be. The future remains bright for our program, and our institution.”

To read the whole article, CLICK HERE  

Buzz has shown commitment to Marquette since day 1. SMU will go to the Big East next year and he was going to get 2 million dollars more than his current contract but the key is that SMU has not been a winning program. He would need to rebuild from the beginning and would have to give up on the growth of Cadougan, Blue, Mayo, and Gardner.  Buzz represents Marquette in the best light and brings in better kids. Over the past few years we have seen likes of JUCO players from Butler, Crowder, and DJO. Now it’s time to make a name for himself and continue winning. Two sweet sixteen’s in two straight years = I WANT YOU! That is what happened around the coaching carousel and Buzz Williams does not want to be apart of it…

Advertisements

Tebowmania is so big, even brands are fighting over him!

March 28, 2012

Tebowmanina is not something that goes on for a week or a day like Linsanity was with the Knicks, but it’s a year long process. Last week, Tebow was dealt to the Jets for a few picks and some cash consideration but over 32 television stations and twice the number of reporters were there on hand for the back-up quarterbacks press conference. That’s right, I said it. BACK-UP quarterback. But if you think the Jets were crazy, here is what Nike and Reebok got into over the past few days.

Nike Inc. claimed in a lawsuit in U.S. District Court that Reebok International Ltd. has used Tebow’s name on Jets-related apparel without permission since it was announced last week that Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to New York. The Tebow trade occurred just before Nike replaces Reebok on Sunday as the supplier of NFL team uniforms.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, claims that Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and unjustly enriched itself because it failed to get Tebow’s permission before launching the new products.

Reebok, based in Canton, Mass., did not immediately respond to a request seeking comment. The lawsuit said Reebok did not respond to demands to cease Tebow apparel sales after a Tebow representative sent a letter to the company on Friday.

Reebok is a subsidiary of Adidas AG.

According to the lawsuit, new Nike-supplied uniforms for all 32 NFL teams will be unveiled next week in New York City, kicking off a five-year deal for Nike to be the league’s exclusive provider of on-field apparel, including game uniforms and sideline apparel. Reebok had been the supplier for the last decade.

The lawsuit said demands for Tebow-related Jets apparel was intense last week during a normally subdued time for NFL merchandise sales.

It said Nike, based in Beaverton, Ore., believes Reebok was shipping large volumes of Tebow-related apparel products to retailers for sale to the public this week, damaging Nike’s ability to capitalize on a “unique and short-lived opportunity.”

The lawsuit added that it was unlikely that a consumer who buys an unauthorized Tebow jersey or T-shirt from Reebok this week will purchase an authorized Tebow item from Nike next week.

Honestly, this is just ridiculous. The deal between the companies is changing in weeks and everyone has to get locked up in this brand new controversy over nothing. To go to court over a simple thing as the wrong jersey is a bad issue but because it was Tebow, it was the biggest thing since sliced bread. I think Tebow is a great role model and a great person to look up to on and off the football field but to put this much controversy into something as little as a football jersey is insane. What goes on in the marketing and news world of sports is crazy enough and adding this Tebow story to the mix only makes people scratch their heads. All of this for a Wild Cat formation quarterback? I don’t understand…

Good News for Mets fans, David Wright is back on the field and feels good

March 22, 2012

Via Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com:

(Howard Simmons/New York Daily News)

For the first time since getting shut down with an abdominal strain and receiving a cortisone shot, David Wright took batting practice outdoors with teammates Thursday. Wright looked very comfortable, which a scout watching from the stands also observed.

“I thought Wright’s swing was really good,” the scout said. “Quick and compact. Drove ball. Made good sound. I would feel encouraged. That’s the best sound I heard anybody make on either team.”

Said Wright: “I’ve been in the cage for a little bit of time now. Today was the next step in going on the field, because it’s a little more energy. You exert a little more. I felt good and am headed in the right direction. I did a full day with the guys. I need to probably do that for a few more days. At least in my eyes, this was kind of like the first day for me of spring training of going through everything from stretch to the conditioning.”

Wright is even making full throws across the diamond.

“I feel about as good as I’d feel, I guess, picking up a bat for the first time in a few weeks,” Wright said. “Hopefully it gets better from here result-wise. But just being out there and being able to go through a full day and a full round of batting practice and not feeling anything, that’s pretty good.”

This is good news for the Mets. If they want to be the underdogs this season, they are going to need #5 to produce this season. I also like how his confidence is already being raised after the Citi Field renovations are finishing up. I am glad to hear he is back on the field and I think he could be the key to the Mets winning this season. Without Reyes, Wright has to be better than good. He has to be right…

“You just got punked! Twitter style…”

March 19, 2012

 

(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

Texas Rangers catcher Mike Napoli didn’t find what was supposed to be a joke by former teammate C.J. Wilson, tweeting his cell phone number over the weekend, to be all that funny.

Now with the Los Angeles Angels, Wilson tweeted Napoli’s number to more than 116,000 of his followers this weekend. The tweet has since been deleted, but Wilson’s timeline is filled with mentions of the incident, and he reportedly received a number of calls and texts.

This all started when Napoli put on twitter that he was looking forward to hitting home runs off the left-hander.  CJ Wilson wanted his revenge.

After posting the number, Wilson later tweeted: “Okay I think we’ve all had a good time, I’m even with mike for saying he can’t wait to hit homers off me.”

Napoli said he can’t do anything about what Wilson did, nor will he retaliate.

“I don’t know what he’s doing or what his meaning was behind it,” Napoli said Monday. “He really doesn’t know me that well to kind of do that. I haven’t talked to him in a while.”

If Wilson was upset, Napoli said the Angels pitcher should’ve just called him rather than getting back at him via social media.

“If I have a problem with somebody, I’m going to call them,” Napoli told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I just think it was uncalled for. …

“You don’t do that. I am not taking it as a prank.”

I love it when athletes use twitter but not in the way these two players used it. I get the rivalry and the fun behind it but come April, I think we will see Napoli hit in the back with a pitch when these two teams meet. I am actually excited to see what evolves of this. Will this be a season long battle or just some fun between former players getting into the others head? I mean, these two were one game away from a World Series title and look at them now. All they care about is making fun of each other rather than actually getting to the bottom line. These players need to produce on the field in baseball games and not in the locker room with the internet. The internet is a great tool, but it could bite you in the butt when you don’t use it correctly…

Mr. Hercules himself aka LaRon Landry joins the New York Jets

March 19, 2012

@MrLandry30..."You can't build a reputation on what your going to do"... #grindmode http://pic.twitter.com/PxFzz5jA

The New York Jets have agreed to a deal with former Washington Redskins safety LaRon Landry. The deal is for one year and $4 million.

The Jets were running out of options in a safety market that had already lost three players to franchise tags. They made an offer to Reggie Nelson, but he opted to re-sign Sunday with the Cincinnati Bengals. The Jets also showed interest in Brandon Meriweather, who signed with the Redskins last week.

Landry, the No. 6 overall pick in 2007, missed 15 games over the last two seasons because of an Achilles-tendon issue. He reportedly was told by the Redskins to have surgery to remove bone spurs from the tendon area, but he opted for alternative medicine procedures.

The Redskins didn’t make a strong push to re-sign him, opting for Meriweather. Landry also visited with the Patriots.

With Eric Smith the only experienced safety under contract, the Jets wanted to fortify the position before the draft.

Former starter Jim Leonhard, only three months removed from major knee surgery, is a free agent — but a return isn’t out of the question. Brodney Pool, who replaced Leonhard in the lineup, signed a free-agent contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

The Jets want a playmaker at safety, as their safeties combined for only two interceptions last season. They also struggled in pass coverage against tight ends. However, Landry isn’t known for his pass coverage; he has only four interceptions in five seasons.

The 6-foot, 220-pound Landry is better around the line of scrimmage, a physical tackler that should improve the Jets’ run defense. He has six forced fumbles and 5½ sacks for his career.

Landry was on his way to becoming a premier safety when he was sidelined by a strained Achilles tendon in 2010. The injury forced him to miss the final seven games. Rather than surgery, recommended by the team, he received platelet-rich plasma treatments.

After missing the first two games of the 2011 season with a hamstring injury, Landry came back strong and started to flash his old form, but he went down with an injured groin. Some believe it may have stemmed from the still-troublesome Achilles tendon. Once again, the team recommended surgery. He opted for stem-cell treatment.

Landry said in late January that he expected to be 100 percent by free agency in March.

Regardless of all the injuries, if the photo up above doesn’t scare you then you are the toughest person on the block. This top 10 pick back in 2007 is in great shape as you can see and I think if the Jets bring back Jim Leonhard they would improve drastically on defense. Also if they brought both in and one gets hurt, you have the other option to go to and get production on the field. I think this was a high risk, high reward deal because of the injuries. But if he can play in 2007 form again, the Jets defense can be really scary next season…

Photo of the Week: St. Bonaventure is A-10 Champions

March 12, 2012

 

St. Bonaventure coach Mark Schmidt cuts down the nets after winning the A-10 championship Sunday afternoon. (Associated Press)

 …I love what coach Mark Schmidt has done with the program. From a program that had won 23 games in three years from 2005-2008 it is good to see their recent success. They haven’t reached the NCAA tournament since 2000 and coach Schmidt is a big part of that bringing in Andrew Nicholson to become A-10 player of the year and player of the A-10 tournament. What a job they have done rebuilding and now they have a tough test in Florida State. I am proud to see their success and hope they win. This is just a great picture of rags to riches and that’s why they call it March Madness baby…

Butler Bulldogs want to join the Atlantic 10 next season

March 12, 2012

The Butler Bull dogs has expressed interest in joining the Atlantic 10 for all sports except football as the replacement to Temple.

The A-10 will lose Temple, historically one of its best men’s basketball programs, to the Big East in the fall of 2013. Butler has been among the dominant programs in the Horizon League, which, like the A-10, has been a competitive mid-major conference in the recent past.

The Bulldogs are intrigued by the access to major media markets in the A-10 and the increase in competition with Xavier, Saint Louis and Dayton among others, sources said. Adding Butler, which is located in Indianapolis, would give the A-10 another Midwest presence to go with those three schools.

Before missing out on an NCAA tournament selection Sunday, Butler reached the NCAA championship game in 2011 and 2010. Butler lost to Valparaiso in the semifinals of the Horizon tournament. The Bulldogs (20-14) will host Delaware on Wednesday night in the opening round of the College Basketball Invitational.

The school competes in the Horizon League in all sports except football, where it plays in the Pioneer Football League. That league, which also includes Dayton, is classified in Division I’s Football Championship Subdivision but does not offer athletic scholarships.

As a Fordham fan, this potential move scares me because Butler could make the Atlantic 10 even better and potentially have a 4-5 bid league in the future. Butler is realizing that being the Horizon league it only is a one big league. Moving to the Atlantic 10 can give them a better schedule and also an easier chance to the big dance. In other sports, it helps the A-10 spread out to the midwest and make the conference even better. But as for basketball, it creates a lot of competition and makes this league a lot stronger than people think. Let’s see if it happens in the future. The bulldogs can claw their way to better basketball come next season…